Hurricane season has begun and it is important to take steps to prepare early this year. As Floridians, we think why? Hurricane season comes every year and it is as common to us as the changing of seasons. But this year may be different. Professionals are expecting a season unlike the last 10 seasons Florida has seen. This season is projected to be above-normal, meaning warmer waters, more activity, and higher level storms. Last year, Hurricane Matthew woke some of us, Floridians up, and reminded us how strong and dangerous hurricanes can be.
Knowledge and preparation is key, especially knowing that this season may be more active than those of the past.
Start a Hurricane Kit
Prevent your family from potential stress and chaotic, and start gathering supplies that will be useful when affected by a storm or forced to evacuate. First make a list of the supplies specific to your family’s needs. For example if you have children that needs diapers and bottles or elderly relatives that live with you that may have medications they cannot go without. Be detailed when creating this list. Keep this list in your hurricane kit, and when a hurricane approaches, you can focus on gathering these items and won’t worry about forgetting anything essential.
After the specific supply list, gather supplies you and your family will need if your home loose power for a few days. Some recommended items include:
- Non-perishable food (enough to last at least 3 days)
- Water (enough to last at least 3 days)
- First-aid kit (include any prescription medication you may need)
- Personal hygiene items and sanitation items
- Flashlights (have extra batteries on hand)
- Battery operated radio (again, have extra batteries)
- Waterproof container with cash and important documents
- Manual can opener
- Lighter or matches
- Books, magazines, games for recreation
- Special needs items: pet supplies and baby supplies if applicable
- Cooler and ice packs
- A plan for evacuation and for if family members are separated
Once you collect all the supplies, put everything is a bag or box and label it your Hurricane Kit.